Sunday, April 8, 2012

Jackie Topa's birdhouse card

We recently put a bunch of bird feeders around our house, and the birds have moved in in little flocks!  I LOVE to watch birds right outside my kitchen window, and lately we've had several varieties of finches visiting our feeders.  One little guy, likes to roost on the feeder -- just hanging out with his feathers all fluffed out, eating a seed or two when he feels like it. :)

So,... with all this birdie viewing, I was inspired to try this birdhouse card I saw on Jackie Topa's blog.  I recently bought the Diagonal Scoring plate  and this is the perfect card to try it with.  Goes together so quickly and easily and the end result is stunning.  Great card for Father's Day or a bird enthusiast in your family.  I used the same dimensions she did -- a strip of card stock 11x3 3/4" folded in half, then scored diagonally at 1 7/8 at the top -- see her blog for a step by step tutorial.

I've also been wanting to try this cardinal using the bird punch.  The crest is made by punching out an extra wing, and putting it behind his head.  Of course, I colored a basic rhinestone black with a Sharpie for his eye. :)

We will be making this card at my upcoming Fancy Folds class -- date and time still to be determined! :)




I used Crumb Cake card stock and embossed it with the Stripes embossing folder, then sponged the stripes with some espresso ink to make it look more wood like.  After punching the hole in the front, I used my stamp-a-ma-jig to ensure my sentiment on the inside, showed through the hole when the card is closed.  The designer paper is from the Brights designer paper stack, and the little scalloped edged roof line is made using the scallop dotted border punch.

Happy Easter to each of you, and may you have some tweetie visitors in each of your yards, too!

1 comment:

  1. Nice birdhouses. If you like birdhouses, check these out http://www.angelonisgiftsgalore.com/listing.asp?dept_id=30060&nopopup=1

    ReplyDelete